Linkdump topics include the Delta variant, the Dead Sea, dogs, a guaranteed income bill, Mecedes Lackey’s Valdemar, Trump’s “Big Lie,” and COVID-19.
Last week was pretty busy, but I did save up a handful of links to share. “The Disappearing Dead Sea” and “The Big Money Behind the Big Lie” are particularly interesting reads.
Today’s 5 Things include QAnon, Jim Jordan, right wing outrage ops, “culture,” and climate change.
There’s actually been a bit of an update to the outrage op story, #3 on the list, since I collected it this morning. You can read it here on Twitter. Basically, the conservative PR group that was involved with it put out a statement saying, “Crap, we got caught, we better disavow the peons that were involved and blame it all on them.” 🙄
- GNet: QAnon is not Dead: New Research into Telegram Shows the Movement is Alive and Well – It might seem like QAnon has petered out since Trump lost, but that’s only because they got chased off the main social media sites, and now they’re all hiding on apps like Telegram.
- TPM: Jim Jordan Says He Spoke To Trump – On Jan. 6th, that is. Jim Jordan, who is the absolute worst, fumbled his way into admitting that he spoke to Trump on the 6th.
- Dallas Observer: Flyers Threatening White HP Parents Who Send Their Kids to the Ivy League Reek of Fakeness – Consider this article a primer on spotting right wing outrage operations.
- New York Times: France Gave Teenagers $350 for Culture. They’re Buying Comic Books. – Look at France, being all snooty about “culture.” Comic books are culture. Pop culture, maybe, but no one thought Shakespeare was writing eternal classics when he was staging plays full of dick jokes at the Globe.
- New York Times: Is This the End of Summer as We’ve Known It? – Yes. Yes it is.
Today’s 5 Things include new masking guidelines, COVID nihilists, QAnon, the Cascadia subduction zone earthquake and the damage it might do, and the Jan. 6 committee hearing that began today.
Today is one of those days where I’m harboring a mighty urge to get a stout stick and just take it to absolutely everyone.
- Washington Post: CDC urges vaccinated people in covid hot spots to resume wearing masks indoors – Yeah, get those masks back out, folks. You’re gonna want ’em back on. They think there’s a chance vaccinated people might be spreading Delta in some circumstances.
- Politico: ‘What’s Covid?’ Why People at America’s Hardest-Partying Lake Are Not About to Get Vaccinated – I’m not sure if this is fatalism, nihilism, or just plain stupidity. Thoughts?
- Vice: I’m a Parkland Shooting Survivor. QAnon Convinced My Dad It Was All a Hoax. – These QAnon bastards have a lot to answer for.
- Portland Mercury: Industrial Hub in Northwest Portland Will Cause Catastrophic Oil Spill During Earthquake, Report Finds – This is fine.
- TPM: Five Takeaways From The First Jan. 6 Committee Hearing – I wish I thought these hearings would end in the right people being held accountable for Jan. 6.
Today’s 5 Things includes inflation, unvaccinated people, He-Man, the COVID-19 surge, and a vaccine mandate.
We watched Kevin Smith’s He-Man cartoon over the weekend and it was pretty good, so feel free to ignore the woman-hating incels review-bombing the cartoon and bitching up a fit online. They’re just mad because Teela has actual lines and real clothes.
Masters of the Universe: Revelation was fun and interesting and funny and jam-packed with absolutely terrible puns. Just awful. Excellent stuff. It was very reminiscent of the original cartoon, but with, y’know, actual stakes, better animation, and a fantastic voice cast. I’m looking forward to the second half of the season.
- Vox: Don’t worry about inflation
- The Atlantic: America Is Getting Unvaccinated People All Wrong
- Variety: Kevin Smith Made Netflix’s ‘Masters of the Universe: Revelation’ Specifically to Please ‘He-Man’ Fans. Some Got Mad Anyway.
- Ars Technica: COVID surge in unvaccinated is pushing US to more mandates, masks, mitigation
- New York Times: V.A. Issues Vaccine Mandate for Health Care Workers, a First for a Federal Agency
Today’s 5 Things include masking up, the Havana Syndrome, anti-vax Facebook groups, the Delta variant, and Roe V. Wade.