Today’s 5 Things includes more on the Wuhan lab leak “theory” (I remain dubious, thanks); a Trump-related grand jury; a push for the public option; a great Twitter thread about how you get all those creepy ads on your phone; and vaccine freebies.
- CNN: Pompeo-led effort to hunt down Covid lab theory shut down by Biden administration over concerns about quality of evidence (See Also: Biden asks intelligence community to redouble efforts to determine definitive origin of the coronavirus at the Washington Post)
- Washington Post: Prosecutor in Trump criminal probe convenes grand jury to hear evidence, weigh potential charges (See Also: Prosecutors investigating Trump tell witness to prepare for grand jury testimony at CNN.)
- NBC News: Top Democrats jump-start push to offer a health care ‘public option,’ a Biden promise
- Robert G. Reeve Twitter Thread: “I’m back from a week at my mom’s house and now I’m getting ads for her toothpaste brand, the brand I’ve been putting in my mouth for a week. We never talked about this brand or googled it or anything like that. As a privacy tech worker, let me explain why this is happening.”
- Vox: Beers, flights, and discounts: The growing list of vaccine freebies
Look man, I was gonna get vaccinated anyway, but I’m definitely going to be on the hunt for freebies, lotteries, and whatever other junk I can rake in with my card.