As of today, over 400,000 Americans have died of COVID-19. It took about 36 days to go from 300,000 deaths to 400,000. Experts are predicting 500,000 deaths before the end of February.
About two Americans a minute are dying of COVID-19.
At noon tomorrow, Donald Trump, the worst president in American history, leaves office. I hope to fuck Joe Biden is capable of cleaning up the mess Trump left behind.
Things to Read:
- Washington Post: Misinformation dropped dramatically the week after Twitter banned Trump and some allies – “Online misinformation about election fraud plunged 73 percent after several social media sites suspended President Trump and key allies last week, research firm Zignal Labs has found, underscoring the power of tech companies to limit the falsehoods poisoning public debate when they act aggressively.”
- Chuck Wendig: I Want To Say Something, But I Don’t Know What – “I’m a writer and with everything going on, with the Capitol Siege and Stupid Coup and all of it, I want to give voice to it, I want to write about it, to make sense of it, but I have no sense of it. I have no meaningful words. I have a lot of anger.”
- Joaquim Campa: Animals interrupting wildlife photographers. – A lovely twitter thread full of photographers being pestered by the animals they’re trying to photograph.
- Vox: Still going to the grocery store? With new virus variants spreading, it’s probably time to stop. – “The implication is clear: If we want the pandemic to end as fast as possible, we need to pump the brakes right now. And we don’t have to wait for the vaccines to slow the spread of the virus. We simply need to do what we’ve been doing all along to prevent infections, just much, much better.”
- Washington Post: Vaccine reserve was exhausted when Trump administration vowed to release it, dashing hopes of expanded access – “States were anticipating a windfall after federal officials said they would stop holding back second doses. But the approach had already changed, and no stockpile exists.”