Judge Amy Coney Barrett’s hearing started this morning, and since the Republicans are going to ram that through regardless of what else is going on and there’s nothing Democrats can do to stop it, there’s not a lot of point in paying much attention to it. I mean, I’m sure the confirmation hearings will provide some fun soundbites, but the Dems really don’t have any options here. Barring the majority of the GOP catching covid and being down sick for the next 2-3 weeks, Barrett’s getting confirmed.
And I mean, it’s not unlikely that a bunch of people will catch covid. Several GOP plague rats are in the room, possibly spewing virus all over everything. It could happen. But I wouldn’t get my hopes up if I were you.
Now would probably be a good time to start calling your Senators and reminding them that you expect them to fix the SCotUS if we win this year.
I know the numbers look good for Biden. They looked good for Hillary in 2016, too, so don’t get complacent. Also, a Biden win does not ensure us the Senate, and we need the Senate if we want to fix anything. Four years of McConnell vs. Biden will not get us anywhere.
Anyway, some links I’ve been saving up:
- TPM: CDC Acknowledges That COVID-19 Spreads Via Air, After Removing Earlier Statement
- Wired: The West’s Infernos Are Melting Our Sense of How Fire Works
- Ars Technica: Projecting “peak water” and “peak grain” for the US High Plains
- Roll Call: COVID-19 cases keep rising in Capitol complex
- Columbia Journalism Review: Trump, reckless and behind the wheel
- USA Today: White House coronavirus outbreak may have exposed thousands from Atlanta to Minnesota
- Wired: The True Story of the Antifa Invasion of Forks, Washington
- Deadline: Google Supplying Police User Information Based On Keyword Searches – Report
- Ars Technica: A common plant virus is an unlikely ally in the war on cancer
Featured image: President Trump Nominates Judge Amy Coney Barrett for Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court (link). President Donald J. Trump announces Judge Amy Coney Barrett as his nominee for Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States in the Rose Garden of the White House on Saturday, September 26, 2020, who was joined by her husband Jesse Barrett and their children. (Official White House Photo by Shealah Craighead)