As of Sept. 22, 2020, the United States has reached 200,000 dead of COVID-19.
We probably hit that awhile ago, actually, and there are probably a lot more than 200,000 dead of COVID-19. Some state governments and possibly the federal government might be playing games with their numbers to hide the death toll. In other situations, various state data isn’t accurate yet because the disease is moving fast and data takes time to analyze.
So. More than 200,000 Americans dead of COVID-19, due to the wild ineptitude and general sociopathy of the Trump administration.
It didn’t have to be like this.
It doesn’t have to continue like this.
We are, on any given day, 4 to 6 weeks away from having this disease under control. We could do a real lockdown. We could support Americans through the lockdown. After the lockdown, we could keep the disease under control with common sense measures and some larger infrastructure changes.
We can do all that. It won’t be a lot of fun, and it’ll be expensive. But we could do it. We could save thousands of lives doing it.
We just won’t, because about half of America is terrible and/or grossly misinformed people, and the Trump administration is a travesty.
- FiveThirtyEight: What If Trump Loses And Won’t Leave?
- Buzzfeed News: “I Have Blood on My Hands”: A Whistleblower Says Facebook Ignored Global Political Manipulation
- ProPublica: Climate Change Will Force a New American Migration
- The Atlantic: The Media Learned Nothing From 2016
- NPR: Why Can’t America Make Enough N95 Masks? 6 Months Into Pandemic, Shortages Persist
- Elemental: The Most Likely Way You’ll Get Infected With Covid-19
- Chuck Wendig: You’re Not The Fucked Up One
- Buzzfeed News: The FINCEN Files: Thousands of secret suspicious activity reports offer a never-before-seen picture of corruption and complicity – and how the government lets it flourish.
- NBC News: Justice Department deems New York City, Portland and Seattle ‘anarchist jurisdictions’
- NBC News: Secret documents show how North Korea launders money through U.S. banks
- The Atlantic: How We Survive the Winter
- The Atlantic: The Inside Story of the Mueller Probe’s Mistakes
- FiveThirtyEight: How To Know When You Can Trust A COVID-19 Vaccine
I want to draw special attention to this article in The Atlantic: The Election That Could Break America – “If the vote is close, Donald Trump could easily throw the election into chaos and subvert the result. Who will stop him?”
According to sources in the Republican Party at the state and national levels, the Trump campaign is discussing contingency plans to bypass election results and appoint loyal electors in battleground states where Republicans hold the legislative majority. With a justification based on claims of rampant fraud, Trump would ask state legislators to set aside the popular vote and exercise their power to choose a slate of electors directly.
This is a long article, but it’s worth your time to read. The magnitude of what we’re facing this election cannot be understated.