We finally caught the Agents of SHIELD finale last night.
A few quick notes on Agents of SHIELD S6:
- Wasn’t super in love with the Sarge/Izel storyline. I thought Clark Gregg did an amazing job playing Sarge, but, let’s face it, it’s just not the same without Phil Coulson. And Izel just wasn’t that intimidating of a villain. I’m kind of going to miss the rest of Sarge’s crew, though. I liked Jaco and Snowflake.
- I did enjoy the “side quests” with the Chronicoms and FitzSimmons. I’m looking forward to season 7 and seeing how all that plays out.
- I wish they’d found something more interesting to do with Deke. I like the actor, and I get what they’re aiming for with the character, I just feel like they spent too much time making fun of him and not enough time building up the conflicts and issues his character was dealing with.
A few quick notes on the S6 finale of Agents of SHIELD:
- Good: Shout outs to Ghostrider!
- Re: Deke: I liked that he came up with a solve for Izel’s body-hopping, but that led directly into the discovery that Deke had his “company” in an empty room in the Lighthouse and… shouldn’t SHIELD have noticed that? I feel like they should have. Also, Fitz crapped on Deke stealing tech for his company and I liked what all that led to in terms of character dev and whatnot, but Deke still came up with the solve for Izel’s body-hopping, and he still had the mini-jump drive prototype to get to the temple with the tech? Like, okay, points off for swiping the tech in the first place, but he was still the dude who helped get it miniaturized and came up with protection against Izel and had all that manufactured and ready to go on time.
- Also: Um… what happened to Deke? Like, last we saw him he was holding off Shrike zombies in the temple and then the temple got blown up. Did Deke get out? I don’t remember seeing him escape the temple. Did Deke die and nobody gave a shit? That seems rude.
- Nothing Good Ever Comes Out of an Alien Portal: Even if you’re the aliens. They pitched May through an alien portal with a Shrike-killing sword and somehow thought they were still going to succeed in their evil plan. These villains were too dumb to be scared of.
- Excellent: LMD Coulson! This should be fun.
- This finale seemed, overall, kind of shaky. There was a lot of tedious sitting around in the temple listening to Izel sing and waiting for May to finish kicking everyone’s ass. A lot of the plot points seemed random and arbitrary. Like, getting Flint back. Or the Shrike zombies. I mean, cool and all, but it kind of seemed like they pulled some of these plot points right out of hat. Also, wasn’t in love with the way everyone died and then… they didn’t. May’s dead – nah, we’ll fix her. Coulson’s dead – wait, LMD. Yo-yo’s dead – nope, it’s fine, the Shrikebird melted. Awesome, I like all those characters and wanted to keep them, it just kind of seemed like there were no consequences for all that drama.
Over all S6 was fun, but not as well plotted as other seasons. I suspect that’s because the writers went into it thinking S6 was their final season, and then they got a 7th season and had to scramble to rework some stuff.
I’m looking forward to S7 because I want to see how all this Chronicom stuff and LMD-Coulson works out, but considering all the continuity problems Agents of SHIELD is facing and how the stakes have risen exponentially every season and yet SHIELD still seems to be a barely-funded organization staffed by like ten people plus the main cast and similar issues, I’m glad S7 will be the final season. It was fun while it lasted, but I think the show’s about run its course.
🏆 Line of the Night Award
Deke: “I survived an apocalyptic hellscape, so what do I have to do to get a little respect around here?!”
Categories: Blog Posts