Trump recently instituted a new border policy that says that parents who arrive at the border with children will have their children taken away and put into the same federal system that deals with unaccompanied minors who show up at the border. This is the same system that recently lost nearly 1,500 of the children in their care, some of whom likely went to human traffickers.
Actually, let me clarify that number. The system in charge, the Office of Refugee Resettlement, attempted to contact something like 7,500 of the around 40,000 children currently in their care. Of that 7,500-ish, they could not find 1,500 of them.
So the number of lost kids is probably higher than 1,500.
Trump is putting the blame for this on the Democrats, and I want you to understand this: This is not a Democratic policy. This is not a policy that was used by Presidents Obama or Bush. Taking children away from their parents at the border was the Trump administration’s idea. It’s their policy. Trump did this.
What we’re doing to undocumented immigrants in this country under the Trump administration is an abomination. We’re ruining lives and tearing families apart. Yes, yes, I know. Immigrants should come here legally. I agree with you. But what we’re doing right now, under this shambling monster of a man’s policies, is a travesty. It is horrifying, and we should all be sick with shame at the idea.
I’ve seen many people this morning talking about how “This isn’t America.” and “This is unAmerican.”
They are wrong. This is America. This is us. We’re all monsters now. This is our shame and we must rectify the situation.
ICE must be disbanded. Our immigration policies must be reformed. Children must be found and returned to their families where possible and safe, and properly provided for when it’s not safe or possible to return them.
Support organizations like the ACLU, the National Immigrant Justice Center, the National Immigration Law Center, Families for Freedom, and the Immigration Advocates Network, who work to protect and assist undocumented immigrants.
Vote. For the love of little puppies with heart-shaped spots, get registered to vote, make sure you stay registered to vote, and in the upcoming midterm elections, happening November 6, 2018, get out and vote for progressives and Democrats.
- MSNBC All In: Must watch: Chris Hayes on ‘despicable’ new Trump policy (Liberal pundit covering story.)
- New York Times: Federal Agencies Lost Track of Nearly 1,500 Migrant Children Placed With Sponsors (Fact-based reporting.)
- Huffington Post: Trump’s Crackdown On Immigrant Parents Puts More Kids In An Already Strained System (Fact-based reporting.)
- CNN: New DHS policy could separate families caught crossing the border illegally (Fact-based reporting.)
- Washington Post: The hostile border between Trump and the head of DHS (Fact-based reporting.)
- NPR: ACLU Report: Detained Immigrant Children Subjected To Widespread Abuse By Officials (Fact-based reporting.)
- ACLU Report: Neglect and Abuse of May 2018 Unaccompanied Immigrant Children by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (Fact-based reporting with analysis and arguing for a position.)
Featured Photo: Donald Trump, by Gage Skidmore. (Source and licensing.)
Categories: Blog Posts