Trump’s blog died of embarrassment this week, and Popular Info has an interesting bit this morning that points out probably one of the main reasons why.Continue reading Re: Trump’s Blog
Today’s 5 Things include MAGA cultists, insurrections, vaccinations, the slow death of democracy in America, and a pretty spiffy thread about the Veiled Prophet Ball in St. Louis. Fun!
- NPR: Where Are They Now? Flynn, Other Trump Alums Keep MAGA Hopes Alive
- TPM Editor’s Blog: Jan 6th Continues
- Vox: The 6 reasons Americans aren’t getting vaccinated
- Washington Post: Opinion: A frantic warning from 100 leading experts: Our democracy is in grave danger
- Sarah Moldafsky, Twitter Thread: “It is my time to shine. So the veiled prophet is an major institution in St. Louis rooted in a deeply troubling past; to call it a KKK princess isn’t wrong but also not right.“
I found a great Twitter thread on the racist history of the Veiled Prophet thing in St. Louis. Also, I’m getting some serious S1 True Detective cult vibes from the old photos in the thread.
Today’s 5 Things includes old science that messed up our response to COVID-19, Amazon giving your internet away for free, whether or not the unemployment bonus is keeping workers from working (hint: it’s not), and climate change.
- Wired: The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill
- Ars Technica: Amazon devices will soon automatically share your Internet with neighbors
- Mississippi Free Press: ‘Breaking Point’: Restaurant Workers Push Back Amid Unemployment Benefit Crackdown
- FactCheck.org: Is Unemployment Bonus Keeping Workers on Sideline?
- Scientific American: The World’s Northernmost Town Is Changing Dramatically
A couple of quick notes about the unemployment bonus: I doubt very many people are refusing to work so they can earn that sweet, sweet extra $300 per pissant unemployment check. For one thing, at best, that’s like $1200 a month, which is barely rent in most places. Also, when the restaurants closed, a lot of people moved on to other jobs that paid better. Or, y’know. Died of COVID.
Today’s 5 Things include misinformation on social media platforms and the grifters making money off it; the CDC’s awful mask guidance; the Jan. 6 commission that the republicans just blocked; bosses who very badly want to go back to paying people subsistence wages and micromanaging their every breath; and yet more on the lab leak theory (still super skeptical, thanks for asking).
- NPR: Just 12 People Are Behind Most Vaccine Hoaxes On Social Media, Research Shows (See also: For Some Anti-Vaccine Advocates, Misinformation Is Part Of A Business at NPR.)
- Ars Technica: CDC loosened mask guidance to encourage vaccination—it failed spectacularly
- NPR: Senate Republicans Block A Plan For An Independent Commission On Jan. 6 Capitol Riot
- Vox: Bosses are acting like the pandemic never happened
- Wired: The Covid-19 Lab Leak Theory Is a Tale of Weaponized Uncertainty (See also: Why Is Everyone Suddenly Talking About COVID-19 Escaping From a Lab? at Lifehacker.)
A lot changed about employment during the Pandemic Year.
Many office workers got a taste of working from home and loved it, which opened up all kinds of interesting new changes and opportunities. A lot of retail, restaurant, and other low-wage workers realized just how incredibly crappy their jobs were, and that opened up some opportunities, too.
There was plenty of bad stuff, too, of course – “essential” workers being treated like garbage, people losing jobs, women being driven out of the work force because they were trying to work and school and care for their kids all at once, health workers run into the ground, and so on.
I think so much changed so fast that we all thought we’d never go back to “the way things were.” But it turns out the sociopathic corporations we work for have other ideas. Like getting back to paying people nothing and forcing people back into shitty offices so they can micromanage their every stray thought.
I dunno, guys. It feels like we learned some lessons here. Smart people would take what they learned and use it to make their employees happier. Pay your servers better. Let people work from home in their sweat pants. Cough up some daycare. More pet-friendly offices. I don’t think we have very many smart people running corporations, though.
Today’s 5 Things includes more on the COVID lab leak thing; an app called Citizen that appears to be a high tech way to generate lynch mobs backed by mercenaries; a criminal cop preying on Black people, bolstered by a corrupt system; republicans blocking the Jan. 6 commission; and the end of the pandemic.
- Massive Science: The lab-leak hypothesis for COVID-19 is becoming a conspiracy theory
- Motherboard: ‘FIND THIS FUCK:’ Inside Citizen’s Dangerous Effort to Cash In On Vigilantism
- The Root: A Criminal Injustice: How a City Ignored the Rape, Murder and Terrorism of Black Women for Four Decades
- CNN: McConnell doubles down to pressure Republicans, asking for ‘a personal favor’ to block January 6 commission
- Donald G. McNeil Jr. (NY Times Reporter): The End IS Near. No, Seriously.
There are two must-reads on this list: the Motherboard story and The Root’s article. Both are horrifying.